Monday, December 10, 2012

Michael Kamen Reflection


                ME 250 is the best class I have taken so far at the University of Michigan.  It was actually fun, informative, and we learned actual skills to use in the field of engineering.  I really enjoyed being around so many engineers and learning from actual experiences.  I feel like I have gained more from this one class that I did in college so far.  During an internship over the summer, I realized that most of the time engineers don’t use fancy, complicated equations or crazy differential equations.  Instead you use common sense and the design process to make wise choices.

                In the design and manufacturing part of this class, I strengthened my knowledge in many fields.  I learned a new CAD software to some extent, which could be a good resource in the future of my career.  Also, I learned a little more formally about drawings, manufacturing plans, etc, instead of just learning as I make mistakes in the field.  The coolest thing about this class was the fact that we actually were able to build something physically.   Instead of just designing and having someone else construct it, we had to build our machine with our own two hands.  Using the mill and the lathe in the shop, along with all of the other tools, actually gives you a sense of what can actually be made in the real world.  Instead of designing an impossible part or tool without knowing how it will be made, we can know some processes that can make it therefore making the entire process easier on everyone involved. 

                This class also taught a lot about leadership, teamwork, and deadlines.  In the beginning, our team had a few issues getting along because of differences in opinion, but at the end we came together to complete the task at hand.  I don’t feel like there was one true definite leader in our group. We all were leaders at one point or another even though we had to pick one specific one at the beginning.  I truly believe that this is what sets the University of Michigan apart from other universities.  Everyone here is a leader and has been a leader throughout their lives.  I also learned that if you want to get something done, you need to set a deadline earlier than the actual deadline to allow for troubleshooting and adjustments.  I noticed a lot of groups just finishing up on the last day with no real time to test the capabilities of their machine.  This is where I think our group excelled.  We completed the chassis and drive-train almost 2 weeks ahead of time so we could test.  Sure enough, the hex axles that were provided in the double gearbox were not hard enough to handle the force of the set screws that kept our axles from spinning.  With a little redneck ingenuity, we were able to cut down Allen wrenches to replace the axles.  Without this, we would not have come close to getting 3rd place (even though we should have won).

                This course could be improved by changing the task for the class.  Instead of having Balltower every semester, the students should get to design the course, and choose what type of machine they want to.  It just seemed like we did the same exact thing as the class last semester and there wasn’t a whole lot of room to be creative or have an advantage in the competition.  Everyone knew every strategy and how to build a successful machine for each strategy.  Also, I feel like the motors we were provided were a major reason why a lot of teams' designs failed.  The shafts were too soft and the gears were not very strong.  I understand this is an introductory course so I wasn’t too concerned about the quality of the motors.  It was cool however to understand the mechanics behind an electric motor/gearbox.

                I could have improved in this class by practicing more with the solidworks program, for that is a useful skill.  Also, I could have improved on our planning of the building of the machine.  At the end we had to do a lot of shimming and fitting so everything would fit together properly.  With better tolerance and diligence with the design, I could have made a machine that fit together perfectly.  This is something I will definitely remember in the future. 

                I really had a fun time in this class and mostly with my group members.  I feel like we all learned numerous new skills in manufacturing and we all made new friends. Thanks Beverly, Robin and Joe for the great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment