Monday, December 10, 2012

Joseph Klosowski Reflection


Let’s start out by saying Design and Manufacturing (ME250) was the best class I have taken at the University of Michigan. From what I hear from upper class men and staff it will be the greatest class I take as an undergrad.  What makes this class so great is that you get to actually use what they teach you in class.   Honestly if it wasn't for the machine shop incorporation I wouldn't have been so passionate about this course. In other classes its repetitive non sense that you will not retain when the next semester rolls around. This information that I got from this class will help me succeed as a mechanical engineer. I understand that this class covers the basics of design and manufacturing, but it’s the basics that other university’s struggle to instill in their students. The facility that taught this class was amazing. The lectures weren't your average dry seminar that you see a lot of in engineering; it was interesting and useful material. The material was extremely fascinating to me because I have a manufacturing upbringing. Most my family works/worked with the automotive industry and this class had my full attention as a gearhead like myself. I would recommend this class to anybody that shares the same ideas.
The idea of working in team is one that I enjoy.  Teamwork is a valuable trait in the industry, one that many recruiters look for in an individual. Our team had a rough start but came together to work like a fine oiled ball collecting machine. The team chemistry was there from the beginning just the clash of ideas gave us a late start on the project. I believe we used our time wisely due to the fact that we all were taking 12-13 more credit hours.  Some team members spent a lot of time in the shop manufacturing  parts whereas others where behind the scenes making new designs for more parts to be made and making sure we turned assignments in on time. Overall I think the team we had was the team to beat. With the help of the staff and our great GSI Connor our machine was the one that should have won. That sounds conceited but I truly believe we were more deserving of the 1st place title.  However of the placement of our team at the competition this was a great learning experience and would love to do it again.
To improve this course I would suggest that the time we were allowed in the shop to be increased.  Start working on the manufacturing processes earlier in the semester.  Keep the extended hour as well, because some of us had classes that limited us from attending the machine shop in the beginning. Other than that the class was great. I have no complaints about the guidelines or the setup of the class. The staffs that teach this class are a great fit for the material and bring a lot of experience to the table. I enjoyed all the guest speakers and learned a lot of useful ways to looks at a problem.  As my performance in this class the only thing I could have improved on was my exam grade. I tested above the average but still could of done a little better. I don’t know what else to say besides great class and glad I was able to experience it with a great group of people and Robin. Only kidding Robin was alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment